DOB: 8-30-1939; Ferrara, Italy
Degree in Medicine, cum laude, at Ferrara University, 3-15-1965: “Hashimoto Thyroiditis”.
Specialist in Ophthalmology, cum laude; Torino, December 1969: ”Oftalmodynamography in cerebral vascular pathologies”.
Researcher at Freien Universitaet Berlin: Eye Clinic: March 1969- July 1970: “Oftalmodynamography in intensive therapy “.
1970-1971: Assistant in Ophthalmology, Ferrara University.
1972-1974: Assistant in Ophthalmology, Ravenna General Hospital.
January 1975: Private practice in Ophthalmology.
1977-79: Visiting Professor- Foundation for Ophthalmic Education, Los Angeles.
1981: Visiting Professor in Ophthalmology, Hartford University.
Pioneer in Ophthalmic Microsurgery, with particular regard to: Cataract, Intraocular lenses and Myopia refractive surgery.
For his original contribution in refractive microsurgery of high myopia, he is named, as the only Italian, among an international Group of researchers, at the 25th Anniversary of the American Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
Since 1982, he promotes Functional Medicine, with particular regard to Nutrition and Chelation Therapy, in collaboration with:
- Aerobic Medical Center, Dallas
- Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory, Ashville
- Institute for Functional Medicine, Gig Harbour, Seattle,
- ACAM: American College for Advancement in Medicine (USA)
Since May 2004 he collaborates with Autism Research Institute, San Diego, to promote the biomedical approach for Development Learning Disabilities in Europe.
President of DAN! Europe, Association, June 2005.
Collaborates to the new bill dedicated to Autism for the Italian Government Promotes and participates at the National Table on Autism, June 2007-February 2008, which confirms the indication for the multidisciplinary approach, promoted by DAN!Europe.
Expert at NIH panel: “The National Guidelines for the treatment of Autism”, March 2010-September 2011.
- “High Myopia: microsurgery solutions” first European Conference, June 1982
- “Autism and biomedical approach”: First National Conference, Bologna, June 5, 2005.
- “Autism and our Future”: First European Conference; Angelicum, Roma, May 19-20, 2007.
He has published:
- “Atlas of extra capsular technique, Phacoemulsification and Intraocular lenses”; Lens Edition,1981.
- “Alla fine del buio”; Sugarco, 1986.
- “Miopia elevata in numeri e parole”; Antea, 1990.
- “Dialoghi con il tempo”; Rebellato, 1990.
- “Nutrizione, mente e salute” ; Edisai 2002.
- “Senza obbligo di lenti”; Edisai, 2002.
- “Defeat Autism Now”; Valter Casini Editore, 2005.
- “Uscire dall’Autismo: un approccio biologico e medico”. Maggioli Editore, Maggio 2008.
Franco Verzella is married with Maria Luisa Volta and has three daughters: Cecilia, Giulia, Chiara.
He lives in Zola Predosa, 40069, Bologna, via Belvedere 25.
Cell: 39-329-6490986; Ph: 39-051-6166712; Fax: 39-051-6187682